DesignMarch is an annual design festival in Iceland and takes the opportunity to focus on design as a driving force for innovation, and demonstrate the important role of design, architecture and innovation in society.
Participation in the festival ensures coverage and visibility of projects/exhibitions, as a part of DesignMarch’s promotional force that takes place before, during and after the festival for the media as well the general public.
As a participant in DesignMarch, your project is part of the festival’s diverse program, part of the festival´s promotional material, guided tours and the opportunity to participate in other official events that the festival organizes, such as Design Diplomacy, DesignMatch, DesignMarket, etc.
Who can participate:
- designers, architects, studios, and offices
- companies that base their operations on design or architecture
- companies that sell designs or design products
- cultural institutions, museums and galleries that stand for, or host, a design exhibition or event
- educational institutes of design and architecture
DesignMarch 2024 will be announced later. We recommend signing up to our mailing list to receive information.
To make sure you’re well prepared, we strongly advise you to read through the information below.
The DesignMarch selection committee* will review applications for participation and select exhibitions and events that will be featured at the festival.
Each year the committee strives to make a professional and focused program presenting impressive and interesting projects of high-quality appealing to different target groups.
The projects will be grouped by these emphases:
- ambitious and professionally curated projects/projects assigned by galleries or official exhibition spaces.
- experimental, original or innovative projects
- projects with business as a primary objective
- studio visits / open house
- forums, seminars and discussions
- single event
* The selection committee is made up of representative appointed by the DesignMarch board, representative appointed by the Iceland Academy of the Arts, representative of the City of Reykjavík – chosen in consultation with the management of the Culture and Tourism Council, the director of DesignMarch and DesignMarch experience designer.
An application explains the idea, objective and content of the exhibition/event and outlines the framework, agenda and what makes the project unique, interesting and professional. The application is your pitch.
Tell the committee why the exhibition/event should be a part of DesignMarch. Other practical information is also requested.
Applicants are encouraged to submit applications in a timely manner, as applications will be reviewed on a regular basis and responses regarding participation will be sent out at least twice during the period.
Once your application has been approved we will send you a link. There you can log in to your form that will have some pre entered information from your application. It is vital that you review that information and fill out the additional information as requested.
It is important to take care that the information entered both text and images is of quality as it will be used to promote the event and the festival on designmarch.is / honnunarmars.is and in other media.
The sooner you submit your information and images, the sooner we are able to utilize it for promotional purposes.
Participation fees 2023
- ISK 55.000 per designer (non-Guild members)
- ISK 27.500 per designer (members of the Iceland Design Centre design associations)
- ISK 27.500 Student exhibition
- Student exhibition refers to an exhibition by collegian designers and architects from acknowledged design faculties.
Exhibitors are responsible for finding a venue for events/exhibitions.
However, the DesignMarch team is willing and able to help. We can advise on optimal exhibition spots and/or hook you up with local designers –because we are all here to network.
Iceland Design and Architecture design associations cover all fields of design.
Here are contacts to their chairmen/project managers:
- Association of Icelandic Architects – Sigríður Maack – email@example.com
- Icelandic Society of Furniture and Interior Architects – Rósa Dögg Þorsteinsdóttir – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Federation of Icelandic Landscape Architects – Ómar Ingþórsson– email@example.com
- Association of Icelandic Product and Industrial Designers – Þórunn Hannesdóttir – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Icelandic Association of Ceramic Artists – Daði Harðarson – email@example.com
- Association of Icelandic Fashion Designers –Erla Björk Baldursdóttir – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Icelandic Textile Guild – Þorgerður Hlöðversdóttir – email@example.com
- Icelandic Goldsmith’s Association – Arna Arnarsdóttir – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Association of Icelandic Graphic Designers – Gísli Arnarson – email@example.com