DesignMarch is Iceland’s largest design festival and takes the opportunity to focus on design as a driving force for innovation, and demonstrate the important role of design, architecture and innovation in society.
Participation in the festival ensures coverage and visibility of projects/exhibitions, as a part of DesignMarch’s promotional force that takes place before, during and after the festival for the media as well the general public.
As a participant in DesignMarch, your project is part of the festival’s diverse program, part of the festival´s promotional material, guided tours and the opportunity to participate in other official events that the festival organizes, such as Design Diplomacy, DesignMatch, DesignMarket, etc.
Who can participate:
- designers, architects, studios, and offices
- companies that base their operations on design or architecture
- companies that sell designs or design products
- cultural institutions, museums and galleries that stand for, or host, a design exhibition or event
- educational institutes of design and architecture
The DesignMarch selection committee* will review applications for participation and select exhibitions and events that will be featured at the festival.
Each year the committee strives to make a professional and focused program presenting impressive and interesting projects of high-quality appealing to different target groups.
The projects will be grouped by these emphases:
- ambitious and professionally curated projects/projects assigned by galleries or official exhibition spaces.
- experimental, original or innovative projects
- projects with business as a primary objective
- studio visits / open house
- forums, seminars and discussions
Note! A selection of exhibitions and events will be given special attention to in all promotional material. The selection committee will decide which projects will be given the spotlight, including on social media, newsletters and on the website. All applicants will be considered for selection.
* The selection committee is made up of the DesignMarch Board, the director of DesignMarch, Program Coordinator and a member appointed by the Iceland Academy of the Arts.
An application explains the idea, objective and content of the exhibition/event and outlines the framework, agenda and what makes the project unique, interesting and professional. The application is your pitch.
Tell the committee why the exhibition/event should be a part of DesignMarch. Other practical information is also requested.
Applicants are encouraged to submit applications in a timely manner, as applications will be reviewed on a regular basis and responses regarding participation will be sent out at least twice during the period.
Once your application has been approved we will send you a link where you will be able to register and receive a web key for authentication.
The next step is logging in to your form that will have some pre entered information from your application, it is vital that you review that information and fill out the additional information as requested.
It is important to take care that the information entered both text and images is of quality as it will be used to promote the event and the festival on designmarch.is / honnunarmars.is and in other media.
The sooner you submit your information and images, the sooner we are able to utilize it for promotional purposes.
- ISK 50.000 per designer (non-Guild members)
- ISK 20.000 per designer Early bird admission
- Until the 1st of October 2021 (members of the Iceland Design Centre design associations only)
- ISK 25.000 per designer (members of the Iceland Design Centre design associations)
- ISK 25.000 Student exhibition
- Student exhibition refers to an exhibition by collegian designers and architects from acknowledged design faculties.
Exhibitors are responsible for finding a venue for events/exhibitions.
However, the DesignMarch team is willing and able to help. We can advise on optimal exhibition spots and/or hook you up with local designers –because we are all here to network.
Iceland Design and Architecture design associations cover all fields of design.
Here are contacts to their chairmen/project managers:
- Association of Icelandic Architects – Sigríður Maack – email@example.com
- Icelandic Society of Furniture and Interior Architects – Rósa Dögg Þorsteinsdóttir – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Federation of Icelandic Landscape Architects – Svanhildur Gunnlaugsdóttir – email@example.com
- Association of Icelandic Product and Industrial Designers – Þórunn Hannesdóttir – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Icelandic Association of Ceramic Artists – Daði Harðarson – email@example.com
- Association of Icelandic Fashion Designers –Guðrún Guðjónsdóttir – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Icelandic Textile Guild – Kristveig Halldórsdóttir – email@example.com
- Icelandic Goldsmith’s Association – Arna Arnarsdóttir – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Association of Icelandic Graphic Designers – Gísli Arnarson – email@example.com